Monday, February 22, 2010

Outside the beauty myth




In this Song of Solomon, we can hear the protest of a woman who does not fit into her society's beauty myth:

"I am black but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, Like the tents of Kedar, Like the curtains of Solomon."Do not stare at me because I am swarthy, For the sun has burned me. My mother's sons were angry with me; they made me caretaker of the vineyards, But I have not taken care of my own vineyard."


The above video was created by Kari Morris and Onleilove Alston based on scriptures from Song of Songs 1:5-6; 5:7; 8:6b and Music "'Til We Reach That Day" taken from the Original Cast Album of RAGTIME.

Kari Morris a graduate of The Actors Studio and Union Theological Seminary is an actor, writer,singer and executive producer of the film "Two".

Onleilove Alston is a student at Union Theological Seminary and Columbia University School of Social Work. She organizes with NY Faith & Justice and the Poverty Initiative. During the summer of 2008 she served at Sojourners as a Beatitudes Society Fellow. You can visit her blog- Esther's

Read the entire article @ The Beatitudes Society

0 comments: